The University of Sussex
Retention and Progression Manager, Student Experience
The information on this page was last updated on 23 August 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We welcome applications from care-experienced students at the University of Sussex. We offer a range of support that aims to make your transition to higher education as smooth as possible, as well as offering stability while you're studying with us.
Pre-entry, you’ll have access to a named contact (Melinda Finn) for support, who you can contact with any questions you have. It’s reassuring to know you’ll receive special consideration by admissions staff on results day, just in case things don’t go as planned.
You’ll receive a Care Leaver Award of £3,000 per year, plus an additional £500 in your first term to help with the new costs of being a student. And you can order a bedding pack free of charge if you need one. You’ll have the option to remain in University-managed accommodation for the duration of your course (52 weeks per year, each year of study).
During your time at Sussex you’ll have access to support via your dedicated Care Leaver Adviser in the Student Life Centre, who you’ll meet when you start at Sussex. And you’ll be able to access advice and tailored opportunities via your Care Leaver Careers Consultant, such as summer internships. If you find yourself in financial hardship during your time at Sussex, you’ll have priority if you apply for the University’s hardship fund.
You’ll also receive a £1,000 exit bursary when you finish your degree, to cover the costs of attending your graduation, job interviews and moving into work.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Summary of financial support at the University of Sussex:
- A Care Leaver Award of £3,000 cash for every year of study.
- A £500 study grant paid in your first year.#
- Free bedding pack on arrival (if needed).
- Priority if applying for the University’s hardship fund.
- A £1,000 exit bursary upon completion of your degree.
For eligibility criteria, view the Care Leaver Award at https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/fees-funding/undergraduate-scholarships/browse
If you have any queries about whether you’re eligible for the award, contact Melinda Finn.