The University of the West of Scotland

Alison Hillis

Senior WP Development Officer
0141 849 4149

The information on this page was last updated on 8 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

As a care-experienced student we can offer you a wide range of support to help you succeed in your studies at the University of the West of Scotland. Our Senior WP Development Officer is here to provide 1:1 customised support before, during and after your time with us.

We can help you with:

  • Choosing subjects at school to meet course requirements
  • Advice about the courses
  • Applying through UCAS and personal statement
  • Campus tours for you and your carers
  • Advice on student funding and how to best manage your income:
  • Year-round accommodation in our university residences:
  • A student buddy to help you with the transition to university
  • Support with academic skills development, including study skills and using technology to support your studies
  • Support from the disability team for additional support for learning; our counselling team, and the multifaith chaplaincy team.

For more information please visit:

Academic support is also provided by our personal tutors, student enhancement developers, education guidance advisers, your programme leader and your course lecturers.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The University administers a range of Discretionary and Childcare Funds to eligible students. In relation to the above questions, for those seeking asylum and those with discretionary leave to remain in the UK, UWS would use our discretion on fees, but we do not provide any additional funding, bursaries, fee waivers etc.

We have a team of specialist advisers available to help you with any more complex student funding eligibility enquiries, such as repeating years, getting back on track if things go wrong, and accessing discretionary, childcare and trust funds.

Our team of specialist advisers can also work with you to support your money management skills and financial capability. By avoiding money mishaps or stresses during your studies, you are more likely to focus on your studies and pass your course. These skills are also useful for life after graduation.

4 courses matching child