The University of Westminster

Anne McGrath

Student Adviser/Care Leavers and Estranged
0207 911 5000 Ext: 66080

The information on this page was last updated on 11 September 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We offer 365 days a year hall accommodation for the duration of your studies.

Care leavers are a priority for counselling, disability, academic learning and tutorial support.

We offer dedicated support as a priority for Care Leavers through our Careers team in relation to career mentoring support, internships, work placements and other job-related activities.

The university Interfaith team arranges a fun, inclusive annual Christmas meal and activity day for all students without family support. Don’t forget to tick the UCAS care leaver box to help us identify and support you fully!

We also send students termly Care Leaver Newsletters in order to keep you updated with support, information and opportunities. Anne can also liaise and coordinate support with other teams within the university.

For any financial, general advice or support during your time at university, please contact Anne McGrath on:, or call 0207 911 5000 extension 66080.

For further detailed information and a link to our Information sheet for Care Leavers, please see the following link;

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The University of Westminster offers a university Care Leaver's Bursary of £750 each year for undergraduate studies. You can apply after you enrol on your course.

Care Leavers are a priority for applications to the university hardship fund – our Living Expenses Support Scheme (LESS).

We offer a separate Care Leaver Postgraduate Scholarship covering full tuition fees. We also offer a Graduation Completion Bursary for final year Care Leaver students. This is not a set amount (dependent on numbers of applications) and can be a significant sum.

We are delighted to be partners with the Unite Foundation, who offer full accommodation scholarships for nominated Care Leavers and estranged students for the duration of your course: Contact Anne McGrath at the University of Westminster for further details.

Our Financial Capability Adviser, based in Student Advice, can help with managing your money, budgeting and taking control of your finances.

Our Care Leaver Adviser, Anne McGrath, can help you with Student Finance England entitlement and liaise with your Local Authority, if required.