The University of Winchester

Student Adviser
01962 827486 (Student Services)

The information on this page was last updated on 19 November 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University of Winchester was one of the first 10 universities in the country to gain the Buttle UK Quality Mark, and holds it with exemplary status. We are immensely proud of our record in supporting students with their individual needs, within a friendly and welcoming community.

We have been running outreach programmes for children in care and care leavers since 2005, and are proud members of the National Network for the Education for Care Leavers (

We offer all our students who are care leavers the opportunity to undertake paid employment as a 'student ambassador', working on our outreach programmes with vulnerable young people.

If you decide to take up this offer it is an excellent way to boost your CV, form a different network of friends, and get involved in the university's work within the local community.

All care leavers will be designated a student advisor who will be their main point of contact and who will be able to help with any concerns or questions following application, and who also acts as the main contact from point of enrolment throughout their period of study.

We offer an extensive range of services, including mental health wellbeing, counselling, study skills support, peer mentoring, employability advice and 365-day housing.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

As a care leaver you are eligible for the King Alfred scholarship, offering a £2,000 bursary per year. A further £1,000 is awarded when you complete your intended final year of study.

If you live in university accommodation, you will also receive a catering card on arrival worth £75, to spend in food outlets on campus.

As a care leaver you will be able to access the Employability Fund for financial support towards driving lessons, work experience and internships.

Care leavers may be eligible for other university financial support, full details can be found on our website:

Please contact our students and money team at: for further details.