The University of York
The information on this page was last updated on 3 September 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
At the University of York we are committed to providing the support our students need, so that everyone achieves their full potential and has an exceptional and transformational experience.
There is plenty of dedicated support available for students who have spent time in care, which you can access anytime during the duration of your course. This includes:
- support when you first arrive
- financial support
- flexible accommodation contracts
- support renting private sector accommodation
- study skills support
- emotional support.
Nicola Browne, our dedicated care leavers’ contact, will stay in touch with you throughout your time at York to make sure you are enjoying and getting the most out of your time at university. You can contact Nicola at any time, even if you just fancy a cup of tea and a chat!
For further information about any of the above, please visit our care leavers' webpage.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We offer a care leaver bursary for students who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- you are a home UK student
- you will be under 25 on the first day of your university course
- at any point from the age of 16 to the start of your course, you have not been under the legal care of your parents
- for three months or more you have been in the custody of, in legal care of, or have been given accommodation by, a local authority.
The total value of the award is £3,000 in the first year, and £2,500 in subsequent years (plus £1,000 in your final term to assist with graduation and interview costs).
As a care leaver, you are also one of the university's priority groups for the University of York hardship fund. This fund provides financial assistance to certain groups of students. Applications to the hardship fund are accepted throughout the academic year.
We're pleased to offer two equal access scholarships for undergraduate students who are seeking refuge in the UK. This scholarship provides:
- a full fee waiver (you will not need to pay any tuition fees)
- a maintenance award of up to £10,660 to help with living costs.