The University of York
Access and Outreach Manager
The information on this page was last updated on 3 August 2022.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
At the University of York we are committed to providing the support our students need, so that everyone achieves their full potential and has an exceptional and transformational experience. There is lots of support available for young people who have spent time in care, which you can access anytime from pre-entry right through to graduation.
- Access and Outreach activities with care experienced students considering university
- Pre-application support e.g. personal statement advice
- A VIP visit package if you'd like to visit us in York
- Pre-entry financial support
- A contextual offer for all care experienced students - this is up to two grades below the standard offer
- A Step Ahead Induction a few weeks before the start of term
- Support when you first arrive
- Financial support including a bursary
- Free accommodation (up to £130 per week) and flexible accommodation contracts
- Support renting private sector accommodation
- Study skills support
- Emotional support
For further information about any of the above, please visit our care leavers' webpage.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We offer a care leaver bursary of £3,000 in your first year, and £2,500 in subsequent years (plus £1,000 in your final term to assist with graduation and interview costs). We offer an accommodation subsidy of £130 per week for both on and off-campus accommodation, for the duration of your course. We also offer financial support to care experienced students at the pre-entry stage. You can apply for up to £250 to help with costs associated with applying to university e.g. the UCAS application fee, replacement exam certificates, or a new device. To apply, visit our website. Finally, if you'd like to visit us on campus, we have a VIP Visit Package. This means we'll pay for you and a guest to travel to us, stay overnight and have lunch with us on campus. To apply, visit our website.