University of Chester
The information on this page was last updated on 28 August 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
The University of Chester is committed to providing support for those leaving care who want to go on to higher education. We provide a support package that we hope will help you settle in at Chester, focus on your studies while you're with us, and graduate with success.
We are able to provide support at every stage of your university experience, and can ease the burden on you so you can concentrate on your studies. This includes help before, during and after you are a student with us.
- assistance with your application to the university
- money management and budgeting support
- all year round accommodation
- a named contact to support you with all aspects of your university life, including any personal welfare issues
- assistance with applying for financial support
- support with childcare while you study
- support into employment or further study.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Our care leavers' bursary is available to new full-time undergraduate students starting their programme of study in 2018.
The scheme will normally provide you with £7,000 of benefits over your three years of study. The benefits will be given as part cash, part ‘in-kind’ benefit, and fee waiver. For more information, please contact Becca in our wellbeing and mental health team by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a care leaver you are entitled to financial help and guidance, and priority will be given to you when applying to the university's financial assistance fund. Becca will help you to apply for this.