University of Greenwich

Will Calver

Will Calver

Widening Access Consultant
0208 331 9282

The information on this page was last updated on 26 May 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

In addition to Will Calver, the Designated Member of Staff for care leavers and care experienced students, the University of Greenwich also has a dedicated member of staff whose role is to support you with your transition into higher education. We can provide pre-entry advice, guidance and support so please do get in touch.To help with your transition and to navigate the first months of university life, we offer a ‘friend’ service from your first day on campus. We try to match you with a current second or third year student ambassador, who is studying in a similar area, and they are available to support you and answer your questions through this exciting time. Once you have settled into university life and are getting used to managing your own money, it is important that you review your spending. The university is here to help you, and offers a Fees and Funding Advice Service which can provide confidential advice on budgeting, debt management, choosing products, and applying for additional help from charities, trusts, funds and bursaries.Please do take a look at the booklet on our webpage which outlines all the support that is available to you.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At the University of Greenwich, we provide care leavers with a bursary of £1,500 a year for up to three years. As part of the bursary, we provide £200 towards the cost of graduation. This bursary is not means-tested, but you are required to be in receipt of full student support. Please see our webpages for the eligibility criteria.There are also a number of other scholarships and bursaries which are available so please do check our webpages to see if you are eligible to apply. Whilst you are studying at university there is also a hardship fund available to provide additional support to help you remain and succeed in higher education. The fund is means-tested, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive an award, but if you find yourself in difficulty please speak to a finance adviser, who can help you apply.