University of Greenwich

Will Calver

Widening Access Consultant
0208 331 9282

The information on this page was last updated on 8 August 2019.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University has a member of staff called the Designated Member of Staff, who only supports care leavers. Their role is to improve their transition into university, as well as supporting them whilst they are studying with us.

To help you navigate the first months of university life, we offer a ‘friend’ service from your first day on campus, called the Greenwich Friend. Current second- and third-year students are available to support you through this exciting time. We will try to match you with a student studying in a similar area. They will be able to offer a range of support and advice, to help you begin university life and succeed in your studies.

Once you have settled into university life and are getting used to managing your own money, it is important that you review your spending. The university is here to help you, and offers a financial awareness scheme called ‘Money Doctors’. As part of this service, we provide students with confidential advice on budgeting, debt management, choosing products, and applying for additional help from charities, trusts and the access to learning fund.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At the University of Greenwich, we provide care leavers with a bursary of £1,000 a year for up to three years. As part of the bursary, we provide £100 towards the cost of graduation. This bursary is not means-tested, but you are required to be in receipt of full student support. Please see our webpages for the eligibility criteria.

We also offer a hardship fund called the access to learning fund, which is available to students throughout their university careers to provide additional support to help you remain and succeed in higher education. The fund is means-tested, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive an award, but if you find yourself in difficulty speak to a finance adviser, who can help you apply.

4 courses matching drama

Drama Greenwich Sandwich year
Drama Greenwich Part time Sandwich year
Drama and English Literature Greenwich Sandwich year
Drama and English Literature Greenwich Part time Sandwich year