University of Hertfordshire
Community Liaison and Support Officer/Care Leaver Coordinator
The information on this page was last updated on 24 August 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We have a care leaver network at the University of Hertfordshire. This is a social group, which meets every couple of months for free food and a catch up. This is also a great way to get to know the staff members who support care leavers.
Care leavers are a priority recruitment group for our team of outreach ambassadors. This is a paid position, working on events to encourage young people to consider higher education.
Care leavers are also given priority when applying for our Year 12 summer school, which offers support in choosing your course and compiling a strong application. We also run a specific summer school for children in care in school years 10 and 11.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We have a £1,500 bursary that is specifically for care leavers. In order to apply for this, you will need a letter from your local authority confirming that you have been in care for a period of 13 weeks or periods amounting to 13 weeks, which began after you reached 13 and ended after you reached 16.
You can apply for this as soon as you have registered on your course.
Course information from Unistats was last updated in August 2018