University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
The information on this page was last updated on 18 March 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We are committed to supporting students who are care leavers, and recognise the challenges that care leavers face when considering university. As well as receiving ongoing support while studying at Newcastle, we can provide you with advice and guidance before you apply, on all topics relating to higher education. Support can include:
- Appointments to discuss the support options available to you before you apply or accept an offer.
- Access to the range of support services offered by the university.
- Someone to speak to if there is anything you are unsure about.
- A visit to university accommodation and/or a campus tour.
- Meeting a current university student.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We offer a range of support to students who are care leavers. If you have experienced local authority care for a period at least three months during the 10 years before entering Newcastle University, you will receive financial support of at least £2,000 per year.