University of Northumbria at Newcastle
Widening Participation Coordinator
0191 227 4323
The information on this page was last updated on 23 August 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Northumbria University is committed to supporting care leavers. We offer a range of support before you apply. This can include:
- The opportunity to participate in NU Entry – our supported entry scheme. For further information, please visit: www.northumbria.ac.uk/nuentry.
- Appointments to discuss the support available to you before you apply and during your studies.
- An opportunity to visit the university to see the campus and our accommodation.
- A named contact for you to speak to if you are unsure of anything.
Ongoing support is available during your time at Northumbria: the Student Welfare, Immigration and Funding Team provide advice and support for students on a range of issues. We can double check that you are accessing all the funding you are entitled to, and offer advice on student budgeting.
We also act as a referral point into other support services at the university (such as our counselling and mental health/disability and dyslexia team).
You will be invited in to the service for a one-to-one welcome appointment to personally introduce the services we have available at the university, and to discuss any financial/other queries you may have whilst settling into university life.
For further information on the services available, please visit: www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/support-for-students.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Northumbria University offers a generous care leavers’ bursary of £1,000 per year for a full-time undergraduate course (in addition to the university's standard scholarship and bursary package).
For further information, including eligibility criteria, please visit: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/fees-funding/ug-fees-funding/2017-undergraduate-funding/, or email: email@example.com.
Northumbria University also offers care leavers university accommodation on a 52-week basis at the same cost as the normal letting period for that residence. Please note that this only applies to university-owned accommodation. This will not apply to privately provided accommodation or any of our nominated accommodation outlets.
In addition, care leavers and estranged students are considered a priority group by the university's Access to Learning Fund, so you would be eligible to have your application for this non-repayable award fast-tracked.
Course information from Unistats was last updated in August 2018