University of Nottingham

Ros Purkis

Outreach Officer
0115 846 6464

The information on this page was last updated on 3 September 2018.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We will offer you special consideration in the admissions process. This means that you are more likely to get an offer, and if you do, we may ask for slightly lower grades from you.

If you choose the University of Nottingham as your firm choice, we will offer you a pre-entry meeting with a representative from our financial support team, someone from the department in which you will be studying, and the care leavers' mentor, to discuss any additional support arrangements that you may require. We will reimburse you for the cost of travelling to the meeting.

We can offer 365-day accommodation. Please contact the accommodation office to discuss your needs. Email: or telephone 0115 951 3697.

We provide a range of welfare services available to all students, including mental health support, disability support, academic support and faith support.

Also, the student union provides an independent advice service for all students, including prospective students. Visit: or telephone 0115 846 8730.

You will also be invited to Kickstart, a two-day welcome event when you arrive in September; this is not to single you out, but to settle you in.

There will be ongoing support throughout your studies from our care leavers' mentor. We run a paid student ambassador scheme at UoN, to support our outreach work, and we encourage applicants who are care-experienced to apply. This is a good way of earning extra money during your studies, as the work is flexible so can fit around your timetable.

If you have questions about our support for care leavers, or activities for looked-after children, you can email: or telephone on 0115 846 6733. Or contact Ros on: or 0115 846 6464.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

At Nottingham we want to ensure that those students who are care-experienced are supported financially.

The Nottingham potential bursary is available to all students who have been living in the care of a local authority for a minimum period of three months. You will receive £1,000 per year (given to you in termly instalments) if you are under the age of 25 on entry to university and are currently, or have been, in public care.

The university finance office will need to see a letter of support from someone from the authority that supported you while you were in care, e.g. a social worker or PA, and this needs to be on local authority headed notepaper. With your permission, we can contact the authority on your behalf if you are struggling to get hold of this.

Core bursaries are available for all students. This is based on household income, with a maximum support of £2,000. If you are awarded the maximum SFE loan, you will be eligible for this support.

If you choose to access 365-day university accommodation, our accommodation office will support you to find the best that you can afford. With your permission they can liaise with your local authority on your behalf, if they are supporting you with accommodation costs.

We can also negotiate for you around things like guarantors, and if there are problems paying initial rent if your student loan has not yet come through.

If you need support with Student Finance England, with your permission, financial support can act on your behalf to resolve any difficulties around your maintenance grant or loan. Additional bursaries may be available from your subject department. Please check directly with the department to find out what may be available, as these will change each year.

Please check the University of Nottingham website and type 'care leavers' into the search tab, to get the most up-to-date information. We offer a range of support services, including counselling support, disability support, childcare support, chaplaincy and faith support and academic support. Contact: or telephone: 0115 951 3710.

6 courses matching Music

Music The University of Nottingham
Music The University of Nottingham Part time
Music and Music Technology The University of Nottingham
Music and Music Technology The University of Nottingham Part time
Music and Philosophy The University of Nottingham
Music and Philosophy The University of Nottingham Part time