University of South Wales

Lynda Jones

Care Leaver Coordinator
01443 482260

The information on this page was last updated on 30 October 2020.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

The University of South Wales is committed to providing support for students from or leaving care who want to go on to higher education.

We qualified for the Buttle UK Quality Mark, and we are also a member of CLASS (Care Leaver Activities and Student Support) Cymru partnership, who share best practice relating to care leavers across higher education institutions in Wales.

We can support you with finding accommodation, financial support, money management, part-time work and academic enquires. You will have a nominated contact on your campus for support.

If you are not quite sure if you qualify as a care leaver, please contact us and we can advise you further. If you are a social worker, or work on behalf of an organisation such as Barnardo's, please feel free to contact us too.

We work very closely with the First Campus Partnership to encourage young care leavers into higher education. You can find more information and contact details at:

GO Wales at University of South Wales. If you are under 25 and in full-time higher education, GO Wales can support you in finding career-relevant work experience that fits around your studies. See for more information.

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

We currently provide a care leaver bursary – an application form, together with evidence of care leaver status, is required. We also provide a small award to our graduating care leavers to cover the costs of gowns and photographs.
Students can also apply to the financial hardship fund. Please note that funding allocations are subject to change, please check for up-to-date information.

We can also support students with budgeting and money management advice.

5 courses matching Sports Coaching

Sports Coaching And Development Treforest Part time
Sports Coaching And Development Treforest Foundation
Sports Coaching And Development Merthyr Tydfil College Foundation
Sports Coaching and Development Coleg Gwent (Pontypool) Foundation