University of South Wales

Lynda Jones

Lynda Jones

Care Leaver Coordinator

The information on this page was last updated on 22 July 2022.

The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.

We can support you to apply for funding, with money management and academic enquires. We have a wealth of support available at USW, including mentor schemes, wellbeing (mental health support/counselling/self help), disability and additional learning needs, careers, study skills, library services, you can find out more here -

If you are not quite sure if you qualify as a care leaver, please contact us through this site or via and we can advise you further.

If you are a social worker, or work on behalf of an organisation such as Barnardo's, please feel free to contact us too.
We work very closely with the First Campus Partnership to encourage young care leavers into higher education. You can find more information and contact details at:

Support we offer

  • A named contact
  • Outreach sessions or activities
  • Pre-application help
  • Guidance for offer holders
  • A web page for care leavers
  • Careers advice and support after graduation

Accommodation we offer

  • A place to live all year round
  • If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year

Funding support we offer

  • Specific funding that's just for care leavers
  • Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
  • Support for students seeking asylum
  • Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
  • Financial advice

The University of South Wales is committed to providing support for students from or leaving care who want to go on to higher education.

We are a member of CLASS (Care Leaver Activities and Student Support) Cymru partnership, who share best practice relating to care leavers across higher education institutions in Wales.

To be eligible for this support students need to be under the age of 25 and the following criteria* must be evidenced;
To satisfy one of the following:

• To be in the care of a Local Authority or
• Have been in the care of a Local Authority within the 3 years prior to commencing your course
• Have left the care system but are still receiving support from their local authority or an organisation such as Barnardos etc.

We have a small number of alcohol free and quieter halls available on Treforest Campus, which some of our care leavers have taken up previously.

We look forward to hearing from you.

12 courses matching child

Childhood Studies Coleg y Cymoedd (Rhondda) Foundation
Childhood Studies Merthyr Tydfil College Foundation
Childhood Studies Bridgend College Foundation
Childhood Studies Bridgend College Part time Foundation
Childhood Studies Coleg Gwent (Ebbw Vale) Foundation
Childhood Studies Coleg Gwent (Crosskeys) Foundation
Childhood Studies Cardiff and Vale College (Barry) Foundation
Nursing (Child) Treforest
Nursing (Child) Treforest Part time