Get in touch with University of the West of England, Bristol
This will send an email directly to the named contact for care leaver support.
University of the West of England, Bristol
The information on this page was last updated on 12 August 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
UWE Bristol actively welcomes applications from care leavers.
We understand that going to university is harder if you have little or no family support, so our UWE Cares package of support is there to help. We’re committed to providing you with extra support to help you succeed on your course – from application to graduation. Drop us an email at UWECares@uwe.ac.uk if you have questions about anything to do with coming to university. We’re here to help and support you.
There is lots of support on offer for care leavers at UWE Bristol, including a designated point of contact for queries and concerns, information drop-ins and monthly newsletters to help you access information and support, a PAL Student Mentor to help you settle in during your first year, meet people and gain confidence and employment skills, and regular social events throughout the year.
We offer a bursary, accommodation 365 days a year, and a designated career coach to help you reach your goals. We're really nice and want to help you, so please email us with any queries.
We really want to help you succeed in your studies. If you choose UWE Bristol, you can access:
- a designated point of contact for queries and concerns, from application through to graduation
- regular drop-ins where you can find information and get face-to-face support
- support to help access academic help, wellbeing support options, disability
- services, careers services, libraries, study skills, student support services and the Student Money Team
- a regular newsletter to help you access information, support and opportunities across the university
- regular events throughout the year
- access to a PAL Student Mentor in your first year of your undergraduate degree. Your PAL Mentor will help you develop skills, confidence and employability by supporting you to complete the UWE Bristol Futures Award
- the opportunity to apply for the UNITE Foundation scholarship.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
You may be eligible for the UWE Cares bursary - a £1500.00 non-repayable bursary in each year of your undergraduate course and a £500.00 graduation bursary when you graduate. If you are eligible for the bursary, you will be able to access 365-day accommodation, meaning you can apply for university accommodation all year round for the duration of your undergraduate course. The university will pay or waive your university accommodation deposit if you are eligible to access this.
Full information and eligibility can be found on our webpages: uwe.ac.uk/uwecares
Course information from Discover Uni was last updated in December 2020