York St John University
The information on this page was last updated on 3 September 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We are proud to have been considered ‘exemplary’ for the way we support students from a care background.
If you have left care within three years of starting your course, you are eligible for extra support. This includes anybody who left care but has since re-engaged with their leaving care team. You can also get support if you have been made homeless (or been at risk of homelessness) after the age of 16, or have lived in supported accommodation such as a foyer, refuge or hostel.
Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to offer you:
- a bursary of up to £1,000 per year (see info under 'financial support')
- flexible accommodation options to make sure you have somewhere to stay all year round, not just term time
- one-to-one support from our care leaver contact
- a scholarship to study overseas.
One-to-one support usually involves a regular informal catch-up with our key contact person for care leavers. This is to make sure you are happy and thriving throughout your time at university, and to point you in the right direction if you need any extra help.
Ideally you will get to know your key person over the course of your time at university, so you will always have someone to go to for help, advice or just a cup of tea and a catch up!
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We offer care leaver students up to £1,000 a year to enable you to take opportunities such as internships, volunteering and work experience during, or immediately after, your course. We want to make sure that you leave uni with the best chance of getting the job you want.
Each year we also offer care leaver students additional funding to participate in our study abroad programme. This is a fantastic opportunity to live and study in a different country. You will also be prioritised for any other university bursaries or scholarships that are available at the time you start your course.