Important things to look out for:
All the universities and colleges featured in Propel have provided information about the following support they offer to care leavers. Not all of them will offer everything in this list, so it's worth thinking about which of the following are the most important to you:
- A named contact for care leavers who can give advice, support you through your time at college or university and answer questions or concerns you have.
- Outreach session or activities designed to give you a taste of higher education and to help you get to college or uni.
- Pre-application help - which could include advice on choosing a course, help with your application and personal statement and filling in your UCAS form.
- Personal guidance to help with your transition into higher education if you receive an offer. Your chosen college or university will need to know that you are a care leaver to be able to contact you to offer this support, so remember to tick the care leavers' box on the UCAS form.
- A dedicated web page that includes information on the support on offer for care leavers and other useful links.
- Careers advice and support after graduation (a long way off but good to know it’s on offer!).
- A place to live all year round (365 days a year accommodation).
- If they don't offer this then help finding somewhere to live for the whole year.
- Specific funding that’s just for care leavers (on top of your student loan - great!).
- Additional funding that you can apply for.
- Support for students seeking asylum.
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain in the UK.
- Financial advice to help you get the funding available and manage your budget.