The information on this page was last updated on 28 August 2018.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
It is important to remember, when applying to Ulster University through UCAS, to make sure you tick the box that asks if you have been in care. This will enable us to contact you at the application stage, and give you more information about the support we can provide.
If your application is not made through UCAS, make sure you contact our student support outreach adviser, who will guide you through any application process.
Ulster University has achieved Buttle UK Quality Mark status since August 2009.
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
Ulster University encourages applications from students from a care background, and will advise young people who have been looked after by their local authority in foster or residential care.
If you are leaving care, or have previously spent time in care for three months or more, and are thinking of applying to the university, there are a range of services and provision that Ulster University can offer you.
For example, we may be able to provide financial support, year-round accommodation, and advice and guidance from our student support outreach adviser.
Those full-time undergraduates who meet the above criteria are eligible for £1,000 care leavers' bursary per year whilst studying at the University of Ulster.
Course information from Discover Uni was last updated in December 2020