The information on this page was last updated on 8 February 2022.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
We try to cover all aspects of university life, from the application process such UCAS or personal statement workshops, to the social opportunities at university once you have enrolled – and much more in between. For further information, please contact the First Campus team on: FirstCampus@cardiff.ac.uk, or 02920 874455.
We operate a contextual admissions model to better inform admission tutors' understanding of applicants' potential to succeed, and care leavers are given "additional consideration".
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
At Cardiff University our dedicated contact Lena Smit can support you with any questions you have during pre entry and during your studies.
As an independent student you will qualify for the Cardiff University bursary of £1,000 in your first year (the amount for subsequent years is yet to be confirmed).
Cardiff University also offers a care leavers' bursary. This is a total of £3,000 for a typical three-year course. We pay £1,000 at the beginning of your first year, £750 at the beginning of your second and third year, and £500 in the final term of your final year.
Course information from Discover Uni was last updated in December 2020